Andrea Manzo is full professor of Nubian Archaeology, Ethiopia Archaeology, and Archaeology of the Nile Valley
Certificat International d'Archéologie Africaine, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 1990-1991.
Laurea in lettere classiche (M.A.), Istituto Universitario Orientale, dissertation: "Origini e sviluppo del circuito commericale di interscambio del Mar Rosso in età protostorica, III-II mill. a.C." (The Rise and Development of the Red Sea Trade Network in Protohistorical Period, 3rd-2nd millennia BC), 1991.
Borsista del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (Grant of the National Research Center), Istituto Universitario Orientale, dissertation: "Culture e ambiente: l'Africa nord-orientale attraverso le fonti letterarie e i dati archeologici" (Cultures and Environment: NE Africa in Textual Sources and Archaeological Data), 1992-1993.
Dottorato di Ricerca (Ph.D.), Istituto Universitario Orientale, dissertation: "Scambi commerciali e contatti culturali lungo il Mar Rosso ed il Nilo tra gli inizi del I mill. a.C. ed il VII sec. d.C.: un modello archeologico" (Economic and Cultural Contacts in the Red Sea and Nile Valley from the10th cent. BC to the 7th cent. AD), under the tutorship of Prof. R. Fattovich.
Assegno di ricerca (Research Fellowship), Istituto Universitario Orientale, on the “Origins and Development of the Kingdom of Aksum”, July 1999-July 2003.
Lecturer of “Nubian archaeology”, Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, years 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2006-2007, 2007-2008.
Lecturer of Ethiopian Archaeology, Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, year 2005-2006.
Since October 2008 Assistant Professor of Nubian Archaeology and Archaeology of Christian Nubia at the University of Naples "L'Orientale"
Ancient languages: reading knowledge of Latin, Greek, Middle and Late Egyptian, Sabean, and ancient Ethiopic.
Awards and Grants
- Grant of the Schiff-Giorgini Foundation for archaelogical fieldwork at Kassala (Sudan), 1999.
- Award of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei “Giorgio Maria Sangiorgi” for the history and ethnography of Africa, 2003.
- rise and development of the economic and cultural networks in protohistoric NE Africa, mainly focussing on the contacts in the Nile valley and the Red Sea;
- rise and development of hierarchic societies in ancient NE Africa, mainly focussing on Nubia, SE Sudan, and N Ethiopia;
- adoption and interpretation of iconographies and styles in ancient NE Africa, mainly focussing on ceramic decorations, on architectural decorations, and on sculpture Napatan-Meroitic, Pre-Aksumite, and Aksumite;
- peoples of the marginal dry regions of the ancient NE Africa (Egyptian and Sudanese Eastern Desert, SE Sudan, the Red Sea coast), and their adaptive strategies, also focussing on their importance in the networks of cultural and economic contacts and on the interaction with the ancient states.
- Excavations of the University of Trieste at Aquileia (Udine, Italy), 1988 and 1989 (assistant archaeologist, Roman and Late Antique site).
- Excavations of the University of Pisa at Settefonti (L’Aquila, Italy), 1989 (assistant archaeologist, Neolithic site).
- Excavations of the University of Siena at Grotta della Cala, Marina di Camerota (Salerno, Italy), 1986 (assistant archaeologist, Paleolithic site).
- Excavations of the Soprintendenza Archeologica del Veneto (Italian Antiquities Service) at Eraclea Veneta (Venice, Italy, 1990 (assistant archaeologist, Medieval site).
- Excavations of the Centro Studi e Ricerche Ligabue (Venice, Italy) at Tell el-Farkha, E Delta (Egypt), 1990 (assistant archaeologist, Old Kingdom, Archaic, and Predynastic site).
- Excavations of the Istituto Universitario Orientale at Mahal Teglinos, Kassala (Sudan), 1991, 1992-1993, 1993-1994, 1994-1995, (archaeologist, Protohistoric site, 3rd-2nd millennium BC).
- Survey of the National Museum of Eritrea at Adulis, Tokonda, Kaskase, and Kohaito (Eritrea), 1995, (field director, Pre-Aksumite, and Aksumite sites).
- Excavations and survey at Bieta Giyorgis, Aksum, Ethiopia, of the Istituto Universitario Orientale and Boston University, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (archaeologist and since 2000 field-director, Pre-, Proto-Aksumites and Aksumites sites).
- Excavations at Mersa Gawasis, Red Sea, Egypt, of the Istituto Universitario Orientale and Istituto Italiano per l’Africa e l’Oriente, 2001, 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2009, 2009-2010 (field director, Middle Kingdom site).
- Eastern Tigrai Archaeological Project, Gulo Makeda area (Adigrat, Tigrai, Ethiopia) of the Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, Canada) 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011 (ceramic analyst, Pre-Aksumite, Aksumite, and Medieval)
- Geophysical Survey at Ona Enda Aboi Zewge, Aksum, Ethiopia, of the University of Cagliari, 1996, (archaeologist, Aksumite site).
- Survey and excavatons in Eastern Sudan (Kassala region) by the Italian Archaeological Expedition to Eastern Sudan of the University of Naples "L'Orientale", 2010, (director, sites dating from prehistoric to late antique times).
- Excavations at Adulis (Eritrea) by the National Museum of Eritrea, Asmara, in collaboration with Museo di Rovereto and the Centro Ricerche sul Deserto Orientale, 2011(archaeologist and ceramic analyst, site dating from prehistory to late antique times).
Laboratory Work-Study of Archaeological Materials:
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Aquileia (Italy) (1988-1989, Roman and Late Antique ceramics).
- Museo Orto Lapidario di Trieste (Italy) (1988, Roman ceramics).
- Musée d'Art et d'Histoire, Genève (Suisse) (1990, Kerma ceramics).
- National Museum, Khartoum (Sudan) (1992, 1995, 2010 materials from the Eritrean-Sudanese lowlands, various periods).
- National Museum, Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) (1992, 1995, Pre-Aksumite and Aksumite ceramics).
- National Museum, Asmara (Eritrea) (1995, 1998, 2006 Ona, Pre-Aksumite and Aksumite materials).
- Archaeological Museum, Aksum (Ethiopia) (1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Pre-, Proto-Aksumite, and Aksumite materials).
- Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (United Kingdom) (1996, South Arabian and Napatan ceramics).
- Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge (United Kingdom) (1996, South Arabian ceramics).
- Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology, London (United Kingdom) (1995, 2003, A-Group, C-Group, Pangrave, and Middle Kingdom ceramics).
- British Museum, London (United Kingdom) (1995, 1996, 2003, 2008, 2011 Meroitic, post-Meroitic, Christian, Jebel Moya, A-Group, C-Group, Kerma. Pangrave, and Middle Kingdom ceramics).
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (USA) (2002, Kerma ceramics).
- Centro Ricerche sul Deserto Orietale, Varese (Italy) (2010, prehistoric to late antique ceramics from the Eastern Desert of Sudan).
- “Archaeological Methods and Theory”, “Cultural Heritage Management”, “Archaeological Record Procedures” and “Description of Artifacts (pottery and lithics)” for the Staff of the National Museum, Asmara (Eritrea), April-May, 1995.
- Seminar on the “Archaeological Cultures of Eastern Sudan and their Relationships with Nubia and Egypt”, for the chair of "Antichità Nubiane", Prof. B.A. Barich, Università di Roma "La Sapienza", Rome, March, 1996.
- Seminar on the “Territorial analysis performed by the Italian Archaeological Expedition to the Sudan Kassala and by the Italian Archaeological Expedition to Ethiopia (Aksum)”, Corso di Perfezionamento in Archeologia del Territorio, Centro Interdipartimentale di Servizio per l’Archeologia, Istituto Universitario Orientale, Naples, January 12th 1999.
- Lecturer for classes on “Private and public space”, “Art and crafts”, “Organization and typology of museums”, “Geographic Information Systems” in the Master in Archaeological Ressources Management, organized by Stoà and Università di Napoli “L’Orientale”, 2002-2003.
- Lecturer in “Environmental archaeology” in the Master in Geoarchaeology organized by the Università di Roma Tre, 2002-2003).
- Since 1999 lecturer on topics of Ethiopic and Nubian-Sudanese protohistory in the classes of “Ethiopian Archaeology”, Istituto Universitario Orientale (now Università di Napoli “L’Orientale”).
- Lecturer in “Nubian Archaeology”, Istituto Universitario Orientale (now Università di Napoli “L’Orientale”) since 2002.
- In 2003-2004 lecturer for the curriculum on “Identity and multiculturalism” in the classes of “Long Life Learning and multiculturalism” and for the curricullum on “The Arab-Islamic communities” in the classes of “Arabic Language and Culture”, Regional Government of Campania (Italy).
- In 2004 and 2006 lecturer in "GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and archaeological research" for the Cultural Assets Rehabilitation Project (CARP)of World Bank, Asmara, Eritrea.
- In 2010 lecturer of "Nubian Archaeology" in the Master on New Methods and Techniques in Egyptological Studies, University of Naples "L'Orientale"
- Since 2004 lecturer on topics of Egyptian, Ethiopic and Nubian-Sudanese protohistory in the classes of “Prehistory and Protohistory”, Istituto Universitario Suor Orsola Benincasa, Naples.
- Lecturer in "Archaeology of Christian Nubia", University of Naples "L'Orientale" since 2008.
- Since 2008 he is a member of the committee of the Ph.D. program in Near Eastern Studies, University of Naples "L'Orientale".
- Since 2010 he is a member of the committee of the Ph.D. program in African Studies, University of Naples "L'Orientale".
The following programs and applications have been used in the research activity:
- Statistical programs (Principal Component Analysis, Pearson Correlation, Cluster Analysis) to elaborate typologies and to show patterns in the synchronic and diachronic distribution of materials and traits;
- Genetic Programming to point out correlations among variables;
- Neural networks programs for data mining;
- Geographic Information Systems for territorial studies;
- Programs for the calibration and evaluation of radiocarbon dates;
- Programs for the elaboration of 3D models with “walk through” applications aimed at the reconstruction of ancient landscapes and monuments.
Since July 2003, collaboration with the “Archaeozone” project aimed at building a portal of archaeology of the Centro Interdiparimentale di Servizio di Archeologia of the Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”.
Other research activities
- Research and data entry on "Alimentary habits and health in Rome at the time of Cicero (based on the Verrinae)” (March-April 1996), in the framework of a research project of the National Research Council (CNR) in the Dipartimento di Studi del Mondo Classico e del Mediterraneo Antico dell'Istituto Universitario Orientale di Napoli, coordinator Prof. Luigi Gallo.
- Data entry of Greek and Latin texts on the cults and myths related to water sources and curative waters (January-April 1998), in the framework of a research project of the National Research Council (CNR) in the Dipartimento di Studi del Mondo Classico e del Mediterraneo Antico dell'Istituto Universitario Orientale di Napoli, coordinator Prof. Luigia Melillo Corleto.
- Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana fondata da Giovanni Treccani, from December 1998, for entries of encyclopedia and multimedial publications in the framework of the Enciclopedia Archeologica.
- Encyclopaedia Aethiopica, Harrassowitz Verlag, Wiesbaden per la redazione di voci enciclopediche.
- Consortium ICoN, Italian Culture on the Net, from Aprile 2001, for the preparation of materials on topics opf ancient history and archaelogy.
- Paravia – Bruno Mondatori Editori, from Novembee 2002, for the preparation of the handbook of ancient history “Le Domande della Storia” for the high schools.
- I.R.R.E., Institute for Research on the Education of the Basilicata region as tutor in the project for the hich schools “Mamma li Turchi. La storia nella prospettiva interculturale”, year 2002-2003.
- From 2008 represents the University of Naples "L'Orientale" in the editorial board of the Rassegna di Studi Etiopici.
- "Lo Haddas, via di comunicazione dell'Etiopia antica", Museo di Storia Naturale di Milano, Centro Studi di Archeologia Africana, Milano, October 8th 1996.
- “L’Etiopia e il Mondo mediterraneo: approcci quantitativi allo studio dei materiali importati rinvenuti a Bieta Giyorgis (Aksum), Centro Interdipartimentale di Servizio per l’Archeologia, Istituto Universitario Orientale, February 1996.
- "Commercio lungo il Mar Rosso in epoca protostorica: una sintesi preliminare", Gruppo Archeologico Salernitano, Salerno, January 15th 1997.
- "Commercio tra la Campania e il Mar Rosso in epoca tardo-ellenistica ed antico-imperiale", Gruppo Archeologico Salernitano, Salerno, Fabruary 25th 1998.
- “La Nubia, corridoio tra Mediterraneo e Africa”, Fondazione Egittologica Claudia Dolzani – Università degli Studi di Trieste, Trieste November 29th 2004.
- “Il vino tra alimentazione e ideologia a Meroe e ad Aksum”, Seminario interdisciplinare “L’alimentazione nel Vicino Oriente Antico”, Dipartimento di Studi Asiatici, Dottorato di Ricerca “Vicino Oriente Antico”, Università di Napoli “l’Orientale”, Napoli Aprile 12th 2005.
- “The Egyptians in the Red Sea. New data from Marsa Gawasis, a Nubian perspective, and future investigations”, Department of Ancient Egypt and the Sudan, British Museum, London September 24th 2008.
- "Ricerche sulla Terra di Punt", Centro di Studi Papirologici e Cattedra di Egittologia, Università degli Studi del Salento, Lecce, March 19th 2009.
- “From the Sea to the Deserts. New Researches in Eastern Sudan”, Sackler Egyptological Colloquium , British Museum, London, August 2nd 2011.
- "The Aksumite pottery", workshop Arabia and the Red Sea after the Turning to the Common Era: Advancing the Saye of Art, Heidelberg September 15th 2011.
- Schiff Giorgini Foundation for researches in Kassala (Sudan), 1999.
- Premio Giorgio Maria Sangiorgi per la storia e l’etnografia dell’Africa dell’Accademia azionale dei Lincei, 2003.
Convegni e congressi
- 7th International Conference of the Society for Nubian Studies, Ginevra, September 1990;
- Colloquio Arabia Antiqua, Istituto per il Medio ed Estremo Oriente, Roma, May-June 1991;
- 6th International Congress of Egyptology, Torino, September 1991.
- International Symposium "Interregional Contacts in the Late Prehistory of Northeastern Africa", Dymaczewo (Poznan, Poland), September 1992.
- 8th International Conference of the Society for Nubian Studies, Lille, September 1994.
- Incontro sulla ripresa delle attività archeologiche in Eritrea dedicato alla memoria di Vincenzo Franchini, Milano, February 1996.
- 13th Biennial Conference of the Society of Africanist Archaeologists, Poznan, September 1996.
- 3rd Academic Conference of Orbis Aethiopicus, Gniew, September 1997.
-15th Biennial Conference of the Society of Africanist Archaeologists, Cambridge, July 2000.
- Italy-United States Workshop “The Reconstruction of Archaeological Landscapes through Digital Technologies”, Boston, November 2001.
- 10th International Conference of the Society for Nubian Studies, Roma, September 2002.
- Workshop su Archeologia e Sviluppo, Padova, July 2003.
- Tokens. Giornata di Studio, Napoli, May 2004.
- 10th International Conference of Meroitic Studies, Paris, September 2004.
- Red Sea Project II Conference. People of the Red Sea, The British Museum and The Society for Arabian Studies, London, October 2004.
- 11th International Conference of the Society for Nubian Studies, Warsaw, August 27 - September 2 2006.
- History and language of the Tigre-speaking peoples, Napoli, Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, February 7-8 2008
- Primo Convegno Napoletano di Egittologia, Napoli, Associazione Napoletana di Studi Egittologici, Napoli, June 18-20 2008.
- 19th Biennial Conference of the Society of Africanist Archaeologists, Francoforte sul Meno, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet, September 8-11 2008.
- Red Sea Project IV Conference, Conneceted Hinterlands, Southampton, The University of Southampton and The Society for Arabian Studies, September 25-26 2008.
- Dal deserto al mare. Il paesaggio antico in Egitto. Giornata di Studio, Roma, Università degli Studi “La Sapienza”, March 15 2010.
- Giornata di Studi sull’Etiopia antica (organizer), Napoli, Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, March 18 2010
- Giornata Internazionale di Studi sull’Eritrea, Napoli, Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, May 12-13 2010.
- 12th International Conference for Nubian Studies, Department of ancient Egypt and the Sudan, The British Museum, London August 2-6 2010.
- Red Sea Project V Conference, Navigated Spaces, Connected Places, Exeter, The University of Exeter and the Society for Arabian Studies, September 16-19 2010.
-Conferenza di Studi Africanistici, Studi Italiani sull'Africa a 50 Anni dall'Indipendenza, Napoli, Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, September 30 - October 2 ottobre 2010.
- Workshop “La comunicazione tra visualità e scrittura: approcci e contesti a confronto”, Napoli, Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”,April 15 2011.
- Workshop "I profumi nel mondo antico. Produzione, commercio e valori simbolici", Napoli, Università degli Studi di Napoli "L'Orientale", June 6 2011.
Institutions and Scientific Societies
- International Society for Nubian Studies (since 1990);
- Arabia Antiqua (since 1991);
- Forum for African Archaeology (since 1993);
- Society of Africanist Archaeologists (since 1996);
- Istituto Italiano per l’Africa e l’Oriente (since 1999);
- International Group of Study on the Eastern Desert Ware (since 2002);
- The Sudan Archaeological Research Society (since 2006)
- Centro Ricerche sul Deserto Orientale (since 2011).